Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation

West Tyson

131 North Outer Road East
Saint Louis, MO 63025
673 acres
(click here for directions to the park)



Originally, a part of the Federal Government’s Tyson Valley Powder Plant, the initial 240 acres of West Tyson was conveyed to St. Louis County in 1955. In 1979, St. Louis County purchased the additional 410 Mincke Tract with a L&WCF grant. This tract is just north of the original park. The whole park includes rugged wooded uplands which typify Ozark beauty, steep bluffs, flood plain, and a portion of the Meramec River.

In 1988 the Parks Department began the ambitious William Epstein Memorial Prairie creation project in the Mincke Bottoms, thanks to a gift from the Epstein family. Thirty acres of bottomland farmland were planted with a mixture of native prairie grasses and forbs.

In 1985, the Chubb Trail, which was developed by the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources through the cooperative efforts of MRRA, was opened. The trail is open to hikers, equestrians and mountain bikes. Access to the Chubb Trail can be obtained through either West Tyson or Lone Elk County Parks.



Park Hours: 8 a.m. to one half hour past official sunset, 
except when reservations are issued.