Health and Wellness

Health and Wellness

Let us know how we are doing! Call our Customer Service Feedback Line at 314-615-SERV (7378) and leave us a message!

Contact your Health Department

Follow your Health Department on Facebook or Twitter

Food How to Operate a Temporary Food Establishment

Safe Food Center


Dear Potential Owner/Operator of a Temporary Food Establishment:

Congratulations on your decision to open a temporary food establishment in Saint Louis County! The Department of Health is here to assist you in setting up your operation and help you comply with all applicable codes. The Department has developed this web site to help you make your business venture a successful one. The following procedures can save you time and money:

If operating a temporary food establishment, submit the application(s) and proper fees at least 10 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT to allow for review and processing. The application(s) and fees may be submitted to the Central office location, or any of the satellite office locations.

The Saint Louis County Department of Health – Division of Environmental Protection

6121 North Hanley Road

Berkeley, MO 63134

Phone: (314) 615-8900

A Special Event Permit (from Public Works) may be required prior to obtaining a Temporary Food Permit. Contact the Zoning Division (314) 615-7866 in the Department of Public Works and the Licensing Division (314) 615-5107 in the Department of Revenue for more information.

You will receive a permit prior to the event opening. The permit must be available for review. All events are subject to inspection by this department. A final inspection may be required at the event site prior to opening.

Important Information about Operating a Temporary Food Establishment